suzyrice.com Rotating Header Image

FAVOLOSO

300wde_Madreblu.jpg

Necessita [ENHANCED] by Madreblu

13 C O M M E N T S

1. -S- says:

Yeah, I enjoy Sigur Ros, too. Very moody, however, such that I usually listen to them ‘seasonally,’ depending.

I just received “Tawny/Music, Martinis and Memories” by Jackie Gleason (and orchestra)…fabulous! Not standard fare but nonetheless, fabulous!

It’s a challenge to find evocative and intense music that doesn’t wander into techno…Madrugada is interesting along those lines.

2. justaguy says:

I tell ya what I’ve been listening to a lot of lately…Sigur Ros.

Here’s them performing one of their songs…interesting to see how they create the various textures and layers, etc.

3. -S- says:

Pretty nice ’70’s playlist, there. And, I was earlier looking over NIN options, so, thanks for the suggestion. I discovered them late, after I heard Johnny Cash’s rendition of one of their titles (probably like many other listeners). About that Cash video (his last), I was nearly beside myself when it didn’t win “Best Musical Video” two years ago (maybe three).

4. justaguy says:

I definitely now what you mean by ‘seasonal’. :)

That’s why this week I’ve begun listening to some happier music.

1. Steppenwolf – Magic Carpet Ride
    2. Donovan – Atlantis
    3. Van Morrison – Brown Eyed Girl
    4. James Gang – Funk No. 49
    5. Steve Miller Band – Keep On Rockin’ Me
    6. Led Zeppelin – Rock and Roll
    7. Guess Who – American Woman

Though I have the following in my standby tray…

1. Mad Season – The entire “Above” CD … I really love Lyanes work on “River of Deceit”

2. NIN – The entire “Downward spiral” CD

I think you said the other day that you were considering buying a NIN CD….I’d recommend “The Fragile” for starters…it’s kind of an epic record…basically him coming in terms with the death of his grandmother…and it has a “hope” theme…etc.

Another alternative gem from the 90’s were…

5. -S- says:

Thanks for those links…yes, it was the “Hurt” video I was earlier referring to (was busy with some work and couldn’t remember the title). Seems I should buy both those CDs by NIN to appreciate the range you describe.

6. justaguy says:

Cash’s version of “Hurt” was really great…and the video…wow…amazing. “Hurt” is off NIN’s “The Downward Spiral”…but it’s one of those seasonal albums as well. I believe Reznor recorded it during the lowest of lowest points of his life…drug abuse…infidelity…he was on a path to complete and utter self-destruction…hence the record title’s name…he doesn’t hold back with the punches on that one…six years or so later…he released “The Fragile.”

You can view both versions of Hurt here…

7. -S- says:

I agree with his premise, and change in attitude. NIN has always been recommended to me by people who are writers, interesting.

8. -S- says:

Ha, that FAILURE CD…I’m intrigued.

9. justaguy says:

You might be interested in the following as well…

I’m doing some work right now as well…doing some writing…I use music to set the tone sometimes…that’s why it’s been on my mind lately.

10. justaguy says:

One kind of amusing note about “The Downward Spiral.” I remember reading a interview with Reznor…in which he said one of the most annoying experiences that keeps reoccurring…is when he walks the streets of Bourbon Street and hears “Closer” playing in strip clubs. It’s become known as that “kinky song.” The song is basically about self-destruction…and he’s pleading for help…trying to find a way out…unfortunately he thinks he’s going to find completeness and/or meaning…through promiscuity…but, instead falls even deeper down the spiral.

It’s interesting how people only look at the surface of a song…instead of really examining the artist’s lyrics, etc.

11. -S- says:

So I just listened to most of NIN, both those CDs, don’t care for them…lyrics are noteworthy on SOME of the titles but all told, is too dark for me, reminds me of the film, “SEVEN,” no escaping the soundtrack, that.

12. justaguy says:

Indeed…it’s an acquired taste…some of it’s pretty dark and moody…the latter albums are way more optimistic. Speaking of Se7en…NIN did do the opening number. It’s called “Closer (Precursor).”

13. -S- says:

Yeah, I recognized that as to the soundtrack; about “Closer,” I found one CD by NIN that is comprised entirely of that one song in various renditions, editions.

I think NIN is one artist I’d probably buy one title download from, or near that…there are a few others like that, who author these one or two great song titles but if I buy their CDs, I never listen to the full tracks otherwise.

Johnny Cash’s rendition of “Hurt” is just wondrous, however, just completely inspired.